Monday, January 30, 2006

Photography: The Great Picture Hunt

I am truly amazed by photography. I find a book of pictures or a site such as Snider's to be an abundance of talent in which one person can relay so much emotion and communicate such a story that I want to find something similar every time I walk down the street. I took a photography class in high school and have always loved sitting down with "The Year in Pictures" types of books, but have never considered myself a "photographer." I think these two readings made me want to improve and learn more.
Snider's photos were beautiful. There are a few of children that stressed the importance of emotion, and the faces on those kids said so much. The article talks about catching action, reaction and interaction, and I think these are my favorite things to see with people or animals. The Bubble Blower picture had so much b & w contrast practically split down the middle. All of the shapes, lines and shadows were perfect and added a lot to some of the pictures even if the subject was something completely different. I think I might try to clutter too much into my pictures opposed to trying to stay simple. Also, Snider is a great example of "show me a fresh angle of something old." Not every picture has to have an new subject, just a new way to view it. Some of the most local, regular stories can become the best pieces of work.
I agree with Chroes when he said as much as these tips are important, true and helpful, it really will take experience. The art is not as easy as pressing a button and capturing and image. The article talked about enterprising and how "finding something interesting, well-composed, timely and maybe even meaningful--on deadline" can be exciting and nerve wrecking. A photographer can walk in and have the best addition to the paper/magazine or walk in a be a huge disappointment. Characteristics such as trying to blend, being curious and being over-prepared (some of those things I would never consider!) caught my attention but I loved this: "good photojournalists are not in love with photography, they are in love with people and with life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home