Thursday, August 24, 2006

Yes, we can do it all...

...but just not at the same time. I think a convergence journalism degree will give us the experience to handle situations where we will need the background to deliver our stories on different types of media. Be it print, video, TV or web. I think it's also important to have an emphasis on one form of media, while expanding on our knowledge of the others. Jane Stevens recounts her experience at VNI in the mid-1990's "Most of us had mastered one medium by the time we picked up a video camera--in my case, a 20-year career in newspapers."

I think martha Stone is getting a little ahead of herself when descibing scenarios of the backpack journalist who must cover all forms of media at once. I think Stevens rendition is a little more realistic. That the multimedia journalist will have a focus media overing a story, as well as others on hand to help with the rest.

I like the freedom and versatility that convergence seems to offer, But I don't think everyone is cut out for it. But for those of us that are, I think it could prove to be fulfilling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home