Thursday, September 07, 2006

Convergence Confab

I was extremely touched by David Snider’s photographs. I cannot think of any other way to describe the mood he sets other than powerful. Every shot held its own unique feeling, and as a viewer I felt like I was witnessing a moment. There is something so spontaneous and natural about the photographs. From the ordinary (such as the man asleep at the station,) to the rawness of the weathered (and marked) hand, these pictures have a vibrancy that is remarkable for the medium of still image.
Moreover, I like the stylistic choice of having the photographs be black and white. The contrast between light and dark makes the images that more pressing in my mind. If Snider had employed color, it would have overpowered the shot and thereby muted the image, because there would be too much to take in.
On a personal note, my favorite was the photograph of the child peeking out from the side of wall (shot in Vaison la Romaine, France). The happiness on the subject’s face is so infectious; I could not help but smile after seeing this picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home