Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Corky Schollllllllllllll

I don’t know about anyone else in the class, but I really enjoyed Corky Scholl’s series. Personally, I loved the fluidity of his shots, how each one poured into the next–all the while linked via voiceovers. It is true that some of the stories themselves were a bit light, but at the same time I thought that they all had at least some interest. In fact, some of them had a bit of the bizarre, as with the “weather-gone-crazy” type story (both with the storm and the fires). His visuals were very interesting, however, and he did a good job of switching up shots so that we’d get a good mixture of extreme long shots, medium shots, and close ups. Also, there is a sense of movement in his work. (It looks as though it the camera is either handheld or on a dolly at points, especially in the first story.)
Moreover, I like the fact that he did not always narrate his stories, and sometimes let the material speak for itself. That was rather engaging, because I felt like I was watching the story unfold, as opposed to it being told to me.
(I know it’s been said, but the ambient sound was fantastic as well. The bees buzzing is fantastic, but also the sound of the airport announcer helped to focus the story about the brother and sister.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home