Tuesday, September 12, 2006

See me, hear me

I was drawn by the second place POY winner for small media in an interactive publication, "ChiloƩ Stories." This interactive video and photo slideshow revolved around an islandic fishing community in Chile. Having South American heritage, ChiloƩ Stories stood out in my eyes and ears more so than other presentations of which the subjects were more unfamiliar.

The approach to using Spanish-speaking subjects was inconsistent, as the videos used subtitles, while the slideshow with audio was dubbed over. I personally prefer subtitles when listening to someone speak in another language, may it be Spanish or another that I don't understand. I can see the challenge in incorporating subtitles into a photo slideshow, but I think it would have been worth the trouble to have translations under the photos.

Aside from this, the presentation was extremely informative, yet entertaining. The audio added another dimension to the photos and perhaps kept my attention ten times over than what it would have been without sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home