Monday, September 11, 2006

Effective Reporting!

Pictures speak more than words! And moving pictures PLUS sounds speak even more.

Among the POY multimedia winner entries, the best clips I like are Best Use of Multi-Media / Interactive Publication: Large Media: First Place, NYTimes.com (2004).

Under the topic Asia, the "China's Great Divide" is such a comprehensive, educational journalism. I was very amazed how much I have learnt about China from the some 10 minutes, with such ENJOYMENT.

The topics (Education, Pollution, Protest, Religion, Land, Family, Wealth & Riots) covered are frequently reported on the TV news, newspaper, radio, magazines or textbooks. The topics and the contents are not new at all, at least to me a HongKonger. But the way this multi-media site does it in a sequence and in such programmed order, it creates CONSISTENCY and FLOW that help me grasp most of the information taught. The visual, the audio are all there to generate the full picture. I feel that the interaction power given to me (to make choice when I want the information, in what order) psychologically encourages or rewards me to go on, and learn more.

To get audience REMEMBER and FEEL THE IMPACT of the news stories are very important. After browsing these multi-media sites, I feel how powerful and attractive multi-media are, as well as, the weaknesses of the other mono-media.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home