Monday, September 25, 2006

Scholl's way – The Ad’s way?

By Joyce Choi
I share Elena's impressed feeling towards Corky Scholl's TV storytelling. What I want to emphasize more, is how EXCITED and ENGAGED I got while watching the series of clips.
Like Caroline, I don't know much about broadcast journalism. In fact, I don't really appreciate broadcast in many ways. But as Elena said, Scholl's clips are a form of art! How amazing that almost EVERY SINGLE frame in the clips is itself an excellent photograph. I believe it is the quality of each and every frame, add on to the fast-paced editing, that make the clips so compelling.
While Jordan finds it difficult to stay with the fast-paced editing, I, on the other hand, think it is just right for me. (I LOVE the Handball Story!!!) There is not a still frame or a quote that goes beyond 5 seconds. Information is fast and clear - with no redundancy. I would say Scholl's TV journalism is just like the advertising art of conveying messages in the most concise and compelling method. As a young people in the Information Age, I have become accustomed to and like the "snap-snap-snap" - super quick inflow of information. True though, for people of older generation, probably this is not a good journalism.
But, how many broadcast journalists out there would have the luxury to work on that? Most probably, they have the skills, but the pressing nature of TV news would not allow them to manifest their crafts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home