Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Trophy Photo

I think each element that David LaBelle describes in the article, "The Great Picture Hunt" is absolutely essential for the novice and expert photographer and photojournalist to keep in mind; particularly the photojournalist because it is by using these methods that a story is truly told. In photojournalism, and all forms of journalism for that matter, curiosity is key. According to David LaBelle, it is, "the soul of the enterprising journalist." It was also really interesting to read that he thinks the great journalist is not in love with photography necessarily, but rather in love with people and life. I can identify with this because although I find photography incredibly intriguing and it is something that I really enjoy, my true love and passion lies within the lives of people and life in general.

I learned a lot from this article in terms of what the components of an excellent feature photo are. Emotion, moments, composition, unusual angles, captivating subject matter, humor, arousing technique and originality are all elements that have been obvious to me when dealing with taking photos, but it was simplicity that actually stood out in my mind in this article for one reason in particular: "to respect the readers' time."

Overall, I was extremely fascinated with all of the aspects of this article and I found this information to be extremely valuable in my pursuit of captivating photos that will ultimately move people from the inside, out. When looking at the photos from David Snider's street compilation, I recognized that his photos were prime examples of how it is a photojournalist actually tells stories. It is by revealing truth and beauty through originality, and in turn, invites the viewers into the scene by evoking emotion within them giving them new eyes to see. "There may not be any new ideas under the sun, but there certainly are many new ways to look at them."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home