Monday, January 30, 2006

Photojournalism- Week 2

I have to admit that I am terribly intimidated by photojournalism. The concept of telling a complete story in one image seems like a daunting task, considering how verbose I usually am. However, The Great Photo Hunt seemed to put a lot of things into perspective for me. I feel that you can instinctual tell what is a good photo, when comparing final products. For me, at least, the difference between a snapshot taken at a party and a genuinely interesting photograph that tells more than what the subjects were wearing is obvious (this is an extreme example). It's the act of composition and recognizing the potential of moments that poses the greatest challenge.

I can ask questions, I can write a story... but telling it with pictures seems illusive. It seems like it's all about catching That One Moment that says everything a reader needs to know, with one glance at the photo (as opposed to taking the five minutes to read a standard news story). Wow. No wonder I'm intimidated. But I suppose that comes with practice and more knowledge of the process of photojournalism, of which I admit I am woefully ignorant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home