Monday, May 22, 2006

Seeing the people through the blind

I knew it was wise to pack extra batteries and memory cards, but after reading David LaBelle's "Great Picture Hunt" I've got a whole list of goodies to add to the plan - from earplugs to toilet paper. Just what is this camera going to get us into anyway? I'm eager to find out. It's been fun so far.
I'll also keep in mind LaBelle's suggestion to hunt for "Big Faces," which seems to echo advice Karen gives, too.
A minor technical note: Too bad eres is not in color because I could not appreciate the detail of some of the shots in their fuzzy black and white, namely the series that his coffee shop tipster brought to his attention of the dog seemingly protecting something.
I enjoy taking pictures, but, as some of David Snider's street pictures seemed to demonstrate, it's easy to encroach on people's personal space. Even behind shades, Miles Davis' stare reflects a melting disdain. Or at least that's what I read into it. Man, I'd hate to encounter such disdain for a dude I dig as much as Miles. I guess street shooting would be good practice for overcoming such people-pleasing tendencies. Still, I'm not sure the flip side to wanting people to be happy should be inciting their wrath. Ah, the art of creating art. And, as LaBelle said, what's a photograph without emotion anyway?
Seeing the photo of Snider's blind parents made me want to know more about his background and the path he took to becoming a photojournalist. Snider developed a multiple media area on the Digital Journalist site dedicated photo essays on his family and other outgrowths of the blind community with Real Audio introductions. Lesson learned (again and again): don't underestimate people. It seems trite, but sorry - seeing what kind of circumstances people can adapt to and blossom from is a never-ending source of inspiration. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home