Thursday, June 08, 2006

Focus, focus, focus

I have mixed feelings about this idea of story focus. I think I understand, but I have never had to execute it thus far in any of my journalism classes. Focus would apply if the subjects of our writing, audio or video assignments were issued with specific story subjects or angles. My experience has been when assignments and deadlines are issued the subject is left to the digression of the student/journalist. If, however, the assignment was more specific, like complete an audio feature on the Columbia school board meeting by Monday morning, focus and pre-planning would be more relevant. Not to say I aimlessly wander the streets of Columbia until I stumble across something interesting; I do, but not to the degree that this article by Fred Shook promotes. Of course I'm not complaining, I like the freedom to attack any subject I like, but the side effect is a go with the flow approach. I tend to have a rough idea of what I intend to accomplish but I am willing to change my angle at any time. Sure, this sounds like everything preached at this school, find the most newsworthy topics even if the story changes, but the discipline conveyed in the article seems significantly more structured than anything I have attempted. Perhaps all will change during the execution of this next video assignment. -- Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home