Thursday, June 01, 2006

Writing for the short attention span

Reading these tips on how to write for broadcast, I find myself vacillating between excitement and distain. Am I just being elitist when I feel frustration at having to simplify the language or cut down hard-worked prose only to fit the needs of someone who is not really listening anyway?
Yes, probably. But still, the everyday stories cannot fully satisfy my journalistic spirit. Not that I don't enjoy doing them from time to time, but I like trying to make sense of more complex issues - the kind that are around us all the time, but we're too busy and uneducated (and a lot of us are uninterested) to figure out the world around us.
By focusing on science, environment and food issues, I hope to build some awareness and interest in these subjects. So perhaps you will understand my frustration when I read a sentence like "We don't often deal with complex stories as part of everyday coverage," as written on on page 4 of Tuggle's chapter 1. To me that underscores all that is distasteful about TV news.
Granted, I'm new to this medium and I've got a lot to learn about how and why things are done the way they are.
On the flip side, I don't like language when it is so esoteric it loses its roots, its style and its ability to rock somebody's world. So maybe there's hope afterall. Maybe this style will help me separate the trash from the treasures and end up with a better product.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home