Thursday, May 25, 2006

Drilling deep for information

The University of North Carolina's site, "Chiloé Stories," defines the phrase crash course. The site mixes a small Pacific, Chilean island's history and economy with the aspirations of inhabitants through captivating pictures and bilingual audio and allows lay people a glimpse into island life - best of all with a minimum of those pesky words to mentally process. I find it amazing that a college student, which is also my title, is able to create such a user friendly, yet abundantly informative site. However, what separates me from those students is that I can only appreciate the intricacies of creating it, they understand those intricacies. The subtle picture compositions that balance the emotion of the subject with their environment make the lives of these islanders... well, come to life. The site, the photos and the audio! I aspire!

The levels of this site also amaze. It appeared at first as a simple flash animation page, but upon closer examination I realized everything is a link to another flash project. The more links I pushed the farther I drilled down into this site. And unlike some sites, consistency reins throughout. The quality of the pictures or audio or just plain layout never waivers. I have no idea how to create such a site, yet I feel like learned more roaming around on this one more than others that are more on my level of site building. But hey, if I aspire to paint a Rembrandt why would I study a Spider-man coloring book?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home