Monday, January 30, 2006

Photography

I think the main point I got out of the reading and David Snider's photographs was how much humanity and relationships are at the root of all good photography. It's about emotions and portraying the truth of a situation. It's about catching the moment when inner beauty is expressed outwardly.

The photos I liked best out of David Snider's collection were the photos stirred emotions in me. For example the photo of the two children laughing and running I could relate to, and it brought back memories of me when I was that age. Then on the opposite end of the spectrum I really liked the photo of the woman with the beads in her hand because it was almost shocking how weathered her hands were. Her hands and the beads told so much about her life, a life that we could not imagine. It made me curious to know more about the woman, the photo opens our eyes to see what life is like for someone from a different world.

It seems that the best photos were distinguished by one or two critical details, like shadows, a paradox, somebodies facial expression. The chapter on how to hunt for a good photo was interesting to read because it talked about how much patience and preparation goes into finding a photo with those couple of details that make it different. Whether they showed a different perspective of a common image or you catch a paradox in the photo you wouldn't typically see it's all in your timing and determination to find it. I really liked Snider's photo of a couple in France walking down a street with an arrow above their heads going in the opposite direciton. This paradox creates interest for the reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home