Thursday, March 09, 2006

Video packages

I took the time to watch a tv package about local gang activity that aired on the NBC affiliate WAGT back home in Augusta, GA.
I picked up on several techniques that we've discussed this week in class. For one, every interview in the package was framed in the upper third corner of the screen. All the reporter used to visualize the gangs was their grafitti splattered across town. She used these images again and again and again, yet did so effectively by incorporating different angles. One of the most creative ways she did this, I believe, is when she filmed the grafitti from the passenger seat of a car as she drove around the corner of the building. This gave me a better idea of where such art can be found than all of her previous close-up shots of painted bricks.
I also liked the shots she got that lead up to her interview with a local principal. She shot from the ground up as he was sitting in his chair, got a close-up of his nameplate, then showed the school before finally putting the principals actual face on the screen.
I'm sure nothing this reporter did was anything that hasn't been done before. But I found it riveting to watch her piece with a new mindset, picking up on details and techniques that I would have otherwise missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home