Sunday, October 08, 2006

Fred Shook’s “Writing the Package”

This was one of the resources that clarified to me why Fundamentals should normally precede Convergence Reporting. I wish I had read this before shooting/editing those exotic pets and old church stories for 4804!

The piece I found especially valuable is about sticking to three or four major ideas in the story, and about writing the close. I never thought of the closing image as of something I should build toward throughout the story.

What also surprised me is Shook’s suggestion to find a variety of shots to depict a rather abstract story – something that KOMU doesn’t seem to be doing much. Most of the shots come from locations directly associated with the news. In Shook’s example, when adapted to KOMU, this could be a diet clinic, or a home of the person who eats healthy food and exercises. A shot of a grandma playing with a kid just didn’t sound very “KOMU-ish.” Which probably means, that’s a way to go! After all, taking your viewer by surprise, at the very least you will save him/her from getting bored!

(Like the previous time, I'm blogging a bit in advance, just not to forget to post this. :D)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home