Wednesday, January 17, 2007

backpack journalists-Jessica Ekhoff

Convergence Confab
Although I understand both sides of the argument explained in the two articles, I obviously side with the writer in favor of convergence journalists (I would have picked one heck of a bad sequence if I was against them, wouldn't I?). The point I thought most thought-provoking was the one about quality. While it's true a convergence journalist can't carry around heavy camera, sound, and computer equipment all at once, that is the fault of technological limitations, not the skill of the journalist. To say a backpack journalist is a jack of all trades and a master of none is unfair, especially if things such as sound and visual quality are the only sources of complaint. When it comes to the longevity of the backpack journalist, I think the numbers speak for themselves. High percentages of firms employ convergence journalists, mostly with positive results. I think that could only mean good things for the employment outlook of this generation's backpack journalists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home