Wednesday, January 31, 2007

True Multi-Media

I absolutely loved the third place winner in the Multi-Media division, "Photographer's Journal: Campaign Moments," from Geoff McGhee, Stephen Crowley, Lisa Tozzi, and Judith Schlieper at NYTimes.com. I believe this is multimedia at its finest, and really inspires my to venture further into convergence.

The photos are amazing. The photos cover all four types of photography we discussed in class; informational, graphic, emotional, and intimate. I loved the humor in many of the photos; Clinton’s limosine parked in a no parking zone, Bob Dole with the angel wings behind him; they make the pictures more entertaining. The emotion in the photos also helps, whether that be of supporters watching on election night or Reagan's last moments in office, he captures them beautifully. In his audio, Crowley says covering campaigns can be difficult because you have to find new things to photograph each day. I think he does a great job of this by adding humor, emotion, and an artistic level to his photographs.

What I really love about this piece is the audio commentary. At first when I heard his introduction piece I was a little confused, but in the later journals I enjoyed it more. I liked him talking about each photo, giving background as to what was going on in the shot. Not only did I learn a lot from this (like how a simple act like lying on the floor can create a great image), but viewers learn as well. I never knew that Bob Dole had so little feeling in his hand, until I watched this presentation.

The audio really makes it multimedia and is a great example of how blending two mediums can enhance a story. Yes, the pictures alone were marvelous. Yes, the audio commentary Crowley provides is both interesting and informative. The two together- perfect convergence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home