Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Shook tells me to "live the news."

Mo Scarpelli -- When planning out my story for KOPN's radio show (our next project due), I found myself just throwing together a bunch of images in my head that were compelling and relavent. I should have read "Writing the Package" first! I've never been great with storyboards for my fiction short stories (they seem to work out better when I just GO and then edit later), but in the case of shooting my video packages, planning is something I definitely need to make a habit of.
I agree with Elena - a very useful point of advice was the section on the close. I guess I didn't think my closing shot needed to be all that important, but I should really be building my entire story on it! I now know what to look for as I film this weekend for the radio show.
Another great gem of advice I got from Shook was the part about getting to know my community (though this is a little unrelated to what I was writing about before). I am currently in News 2100... in lecture I've been told over and over that I need to know everything imaginable about my community because it will come in hand. This bored me because I was thinking along the lines of knowing the names of our city council members and such... but it's exciting to think that there's a lot about my community I don't know because I never took the time to learn it. Historical facts and perspectives are important, for instance -- As Peter Jennings warns, "It simply isn't possible to catch up with the events by quickly reading official reports and calling government officials." I should get more involved in my community and "live the news," as Shook says.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home