Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Visual framing in minds

Thanks to Fred Shook's "Writing the package", my memories about the broadcasting course that I took on undergraduate level are partly reactivated - after all, it was 3 years ago - and further improved.

Indeed, the "Writing the package" reminds me one thing important – "first emphasize the idea you wish to communicate, and only then begin the search for images and words that will most effectively tell the story". "Let the idea talk", it is what I learned before but forgot. I concentrated more on the technical things of the images rather than how they were going to serve the story idea, although finally I got my rhythm back and let the idea dominated the visual elements.

What I found most helpful from reading is the piece of "writing the close". It is a good idea to begin the search for the closing shot – a visual close that can build toward throughout the entire piece in the early stage. When I was structuring my last assignment, the closure was the part that I found most intractable. I think the next assignment of TV story will be a good chance to experiment on Shook's suggestions.

It is interesting to have a visualized the storyboard in the mind. I don't think it is really difficult. However, it needs a lot of efforts to maintain a good balance between the narratives and images. Shook's "Writing the package" is a good starting point in theoretical aspect, but accumulated experiences from persistent practice are indispensable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home