Wednesday, January 31, 2007

New York Times Multimedia

Journalism of the quality featured by the New York Times multimedia site is precisely the reason I chose to be a convergence major. I would love to be out in the world, producing work of this caliber (or dare I say even better) some day. It is true that I have never been a fan of the Times as a hardcopy printed newspaper. However, their website and multimedia features are on an entirely different level. There are so many stories to tell and the number of ways in which they can be told is nearly as vast. Many stories can’t be told in 500 2-dimensional words or crammed into a 60-second clip. The need to tell these stories is why I chose convergence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyrsten Skulborstad said...

I agree with Steven about the New York Times photos. The quality of the photographs were incredible...the images were so crisp that the emotions conveyed in the photos by the individuals where real. In one of the photos where a person stood barefeet on a snowcapped mountain, I could feel the cold snow squishing up between my toes. The photo that truly captivated my heart though was one of a large number of Iranians gathering in the streets protesting cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad in Danish publications. When I saw this picture, my heart literally went on a two second rollercoaster ride. The innocent eyes of the woman in the photo gave me the impression that she was longing for something and the mass of veiled bodies marching in front of her gave me an impression of death for some reason. I know this is not what the photographer was necessarily trying to convey to his audience, but those were the emotions I felt within the first two seconds of seeing this photo. This photo is overwhelmingly captivating to me not only because of the situation in the city of Qum, but because of its artistic value. The veil of the woman whose face we see curves so softly around her chin and into the rest of the photograph. Although she first grasps our attention, it is the flow of the veil that invites the viewer into the entire scene.

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home