Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Kentucky/ Wash Post

I browsed two of the POY multimedia winner sites: Western Kentucky University's "Mountain Workshops" and The Washington Post's Camera Works site.

I just briefly browsed The Washington Post's site since I have been on there many times before and am familiar with it. But I just wanted to comment on their "The Day in Photos" gallery. I really like this concept and have used it many times not only to look at the good photography, but also because I think it adds a different dimension to my brief scanning of the headlines. When I don't have time to read stories in depth, looking at the photos gives me just a little bit more information, and I like that.

On another note, the little bit of the Mountain Workshops feature we watched in class really interested me, so I decided to go back for a closer look. I really enjoy this piece because it appeals to the part of me that really enjoys human interest stories. I like learning about people, learning about ways of life, and I think this multimedia spread does a good job at tackling these people's stories. I agree with some of the previous comments, I'm not so sure video would have had the same effect that the photos did for this piece. While I am excited to learn how to use video in an effective manner, I do often believe that photos offer something different, often something better. Through photography you can focus closely on minor details, or approach the subject through interesting angles. These things give the viewer a better view into their life. I think that the photos, in conjunction with the audio, make for a compelling work. To use the example of the war veteran, I think the photo/audio combination was perfect for telling his story. His words come to life through his voice, but they are enhanced by his photos. If they had simply used video, I don't think I would have been able to focus on the same things that the photos allow to come out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home