Monday, March 13, 2006

I watched some clips off bbc.co.uk. I like this site because it has extensive video archives from all over the world with usually sound packages. I watched one clip from Argentina about an ice shelf collapsing. I really noticed that the reporter did not use any close up or mid-length views. They were all from far away and although I realise it may be hard to get close up to the action it would be good to get images of people's reaction to seeing the shelf fall. We heard there gasps but didn't see their faces. The reporter only used four shots with little variation which resulted in a boring package even though it was taken in an intense situation. The second clip I watched was about the Dan Brown proceedings. This was down a lot better with close-ups, mid and long shots. There were clips from the courthouse, a bookstore, of Dan Brown himself adding to the interest and variety in a potentially boring story. The reporter did a stand-up and picked up his book and the other book in question in the case to compare them adding to the conflict in the story. She used computer aid's by typing in Dan Brown's quotes from the case on the front page of his book instead of just up on the screen. She was more articulate and clear. I noticed she also didn't pan or zoom like the first story did. You would think because it is difficult to do this and should add variety to shots it really didn't capture my attention and I did not miss it in the second package. The second package should have been more boring than the first but because of the variety in the package with standups, vo's, shot distance, cut-aways and persons of interest being shown close-up I became more involved in the story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home