Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Ugliest Dog Story

For this assignment, I watched the CNN Video about the competition in California for the ugliest dog. The story itself couldn't be more visual--there were plenty of alarmingly ugly critters on display! The story was light and cute, but the camera work was really abrupt. It was very obvious that no tripod was used and the camera was bouncing around with the ugly dogs. I got the impression that the extra camera movement was intentional, maybe to go along with the story, but it made me wonder how much shaky video is too much? The camera panned the reporter, the dog, the dog's owner and there were multiple shots where the reporter zoomed in and out on the subject. At times there were obvious water spots on the camera lens and I counted at least 3 jump cuts. I probably wouldn't have noticed any of these 'flaws' before this class, but it lead me to wonder, is this kind of shooting artistic or just bad?

1 Comments:

Blogger Lynda Kraxberger said...

I vote, just bad.
lk

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home